The SANDEE is inviting concept notes for research projects on the economics of forest restoration: the reestablishment of forest cover in degraded or recently harvested forests (reforestation) or marginal or abandoned croplands and pastures (afforestation).
SANDEE is an initiative of ICIMOD under its MKAN Regional Programme. SANDEE is a research capacity-building network that provides research support to South Asian researchers and institutions interested in the connections between economic development, the environment, and the use of natural resources.
ICIMOD is a regional intergovernmental learning and knowledge-sharing centre based in Kathmandu, Nepal, that works in eight countries of the Hindu Kush Himalaya (HKH): Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, China, India, Myanmar, Nepal, and Pakistan.
Grants are likely to be in the range of USD 20,000–30,000 over a two-year period. Larger grants are more likely if teams are multidisciplinary, involve two or more countries in the region, or focus on a transboundary issue.
- Regardless of whether concept notes submitted in response to this call focus on forest restoration or other environmental/natural resource topics, SANDEE will prioritize the selection of concept notes that have a strong economics component and the dual potential to produce high-impact scientific publications and information that is useful to national-, provincial-, or local-level policy makers in the region.
- Researchers working in South Asia and the HKH are eligible to submit concept notes.
- SANDEE welcomes concept notes that involve interdisciplinary projects, cross-border collaborations, and transboundary topics with a mountain and gender focus.
- Principal investigators (PIs) must be junior to mid-career professionals employed by a university, research institute, or other similar institutions in the region, including government agencies and nonprofit organizations.
- Research teams can include senior researchers as co-PIs or mentors but not as PIs.
How to Apply
Interested applicants can apply via given website.
For more information, please visit SANDEE.