About the Organization:
The Waterloo Foundation (TWF) is an independent grant-making Foundation created in 2007, and based in Cardiff, Wales. They are a registered charity with the Charity Commission for England and Wales. They give grants to organisations in both the UK and world-wide. They are most interested in projects that help globally particularly in the areas of the disparity of opportunities and wealth and the unsustainable use of the world’s natural resources.
Under our Tropical Rainforests programme, preference will be given to initiatives working to protect tropical rainforests for their value to the climate, communities and biodiversity, principally through avoided deforestation. They will consider both practical local projects, and strategic initiatives.
Applications for practical local projects that they will consider would typically be working on a specified tropical rainforest area, defined in hectares. They will generally only accept applications for the protection of areas larger than 10,000 hectares. Applicants will need to demonstrate how their project involves:
- Exposing, addressing and overcoming the local drivers of deforestation
- Management of the specified area
- Methods to measure and monitor the protected area
- Sustainable livelihoods for forest-dependent communities
They will consider applications for strategic projects that are working on addressing the drivers of deforestation on a wider or international scale. These could include:
- Working on international or regional forest policy
- Campaigning for improved practices in commerce
- Innovative ways of reducing deforestation e.g. financial systems or solutions based on the value of forest ecosystem services
What they will not fund:
They are not able to offer funding for:
- Tree planting projects
- Projects focused solely on the use of fuel-efficient stoves – we have selected one partner to undertake forest-related efficient stove interventions
- Projects with animal conservation as the sole focus
- Research projects
- Projects focusing on environmental education
- We are currently not accepting proposals for REDD and carbon finance projects
- Projects based in countries that are not secure and politically stable. We are therefore unlikely to support projects in conflict-affected areas such as within DRC and CAR.
- In addition, we only consider proposals from US-based organisations under exceptional circumstances, due to the higher availability of environmental funding in the US compared to the UK.
Specific Application Requirements:
If your initial proposal to the Tropical Rainforests programme is deemed eligible, you will be expected to provide the following information. Therefore, applicants that refer to the availability of this information in their initial proposal will be given priority:
For tropical rainforest local projects:
Applicants should be able to evidence previous successful tropical rainforest projects, with outcomes including:
- Demonstrable protection of an area of tropical rainforest specified by hectare and cost;
- Implementation of a management plan;
- Improved livelihoods and income levels of forest-dependent communities.
- The area of tropical forest the project will protect in hectares.
For tropical rainforest strategic projects:
- Evidence of previous successful strategic programmes e.g. an attributable change in policy or improved supply chain. They may ask to see a full copy of the supporting data and evaluation at a later stage;
- For your proposed programme, the specific measurable outcomes that you expect the programme to achieve, and the methods you will use to monitor these outcomes;
- The strategy put in place to ensure the sustainability of the programme’s objectives for the long term.
Can I apply if I am from outside the UK?
If you are an organisation based outside of the UK, you must send them contact details for a named person who is willing to provide us with a reference for your work. This must be someone who:
- Works for an international NGO with offices in the UK
- Works for an organisation that the Foundation has previously given a grant to
- Works for an organisation with offices in the UK, which has been a current or former donor to your organisation
- Works for an academic institution, think tank or as an independent consultant who is based in the UK, and which has evaluated your organisation.
Ideally, the person you provide as a reference will have visited your organisation and be able to provide feedback on the quality of your work. Please state the name, contact details and your relationship to the referee (i.e. past funder) at the beginning of your application. Only applications with references will be considered.
Grant: They will consider providing one off and multi-annual grants (usually for up to three years). The majority of our grants in this programme will be for a total of £50,000 – £100,000.
Applying for Funding:
If you think that you are eligible for funding, please see the Environment – Application Guidelines page for guidance about how to submit a funding application.
Please note that all applications must be submitted to email@example.com
For more information please check the Link