She’s the First is seeking proposals to address the Dream Gap through a career workshop series for girls ages 5-12.
She’s the First seeks to work with locally-led, girl-centered organizations worldwide to inspire young girls through career workshops, inspiring role models, and trailblazing leaders.
Girls will meet role models from their communities over the course of 3-5 workshops in 2020 to spark their interest in nontraditional careers for women, build self-confidence, and strengthen their dreams.
Grantees will receive $1,500-$2,500 USD in order to facilitate this.
During each workshop, the featured role model will lead a series of activities designed to incorporate play and fun alongside of critically thinking about gender roles and their dreams. The grantee can choose from a selection of activities curated by She’s the First or create their own. All grantees must include the following in their career workshop series:
- Host 3-5 community-based events with role models that represent a diverse set of jobs, including unexpected careers for women. At least 75% of these events must be completed by October 15, 2020;
- Provide girls with foods/snacks if the event is more than three hours long;
- Guest speakers should be provided with transport and a stipend as well as time to review the expectations prior to the event;
- Staff must be compensated for their time;
- Submit a short grant report no later than October 15, 2020.
She’s the First’ve put together a list of suggested activities for inspiration. You may tailor them to the girls you work with or use your own activities! That includes adjusting activity durations, age groups, and scripts to suit your group and context.
Each activity is accompanied with one of the following markers next to the titles of the activity to help you plan the activity.
- Event organizer leads activity;
- Guest speaker leads activity;
- Includes suggested script/speaking prompt.
- Career Profile;
- I have a dream to…;
- In her shoes;
- Let’s imagine out loud;
She’s the First ’re looking for proposals from organizations which are:
- Based in East and West Africa, Latin America, North America and/or South Asia;
- Working with girls from marginalized communities or in marginalized circumstances fighting for girls to choose their own futures.
The career workshop series can be a part of existing programming at your organization. She’s the First will also consider organizations who are seeking to deepen their work with girls by starting a new initiative through this grant.
How to Apply
Applications must be submitted online via given website.
For more information, visit She’s the First.