Mama Cash is accepting Letters of Interest from applicants, who are not current grantee-partners, to support organisations and initiatives that are fighting environmental injustices and are implementing alternative, environmentally-just, solutions.
Despite the urgency of the situation, activists and groups who work on environmental justice are severely underfunded. In recent years, Mama Cash has supported a growing number of groups fighting the impact of climate change and environmental degradation on women, girls, transgender people and intersex people. This year, they are excited to boost their grantmaking in this area. They are looking forward to receiving applications from groups working on environmental justice during this grant application window.
In 2020, Mama Cash invites Letters of Interest from groups and organisations that meet the following criteria:
- Have an annual budget below 200,000 euros.
- Mama Cash does not prioritise providing financial support to larger groups. As a result, among their grantee-partners in the thematic portfolios you will find only very few groups that have annual budgets over 200,000 euros.
- Work on the nexus of women’s, girls, trans and intersex people’s rights and environmental justice, for example, groups that address the exclusion of indigenous women from decision-making over their land and groups that fight for their right to water, food, and a clean, safe, and healthy environment.
Mama Cash supports groups and initiatives that:
- Work from a feminist and/or women’s rights perspective
- Are self-led by the women, girls, trans people and/or intersex they serve
- Have the promotion of women’s, girls’, trans people and/or intersex people’s human rights as their primary mission, and not just as the focus of part of their programmes
- Push for structural and fundamental change
- Focus on issues that are under-addressed and/or contested
Mama Cash does not fund:
- Groups whose mission and/or primary focus are not the promotion of women’s, girls’, trans people’s or intersex people’s human rights.
- Groups whose work focuses primarily on improving the lives of individual women, girls, trans people and/or intersex people without addressing the conditions that give rise to the injustices they face.
- Groups that actively seek to deny the rights of certain women, girls, trans and intersex people, based on who they are or on their position in society.
- Groups whose primary purpose is development work, humanitarian assistance, or services, such as:
- Income-generating activities and credit programmes
- (In)formal education, literacy programmes and traditional skills training
- Providing social, legal or health care services
- Groups led by men (with the exception of those led by trans men).
- Groups based in the United States or Canada.
- Groups based in the Global North that are executing programmes in or are leading partnerships with groups based in the Global South and East.
- Groups founded by, led by, or structurally or economically dependent on political parties, government agencies, or religious institutions.
- Academic research or scholarships.
- Stand-alone travel grants (costs for travel can, however, be part of broader applications provided they are consistent with the group’s mission and strategies).
How to Apply
- Before you submit a Letter of Interest, Mama Cash asks you to ensure that your group or initiative meets all the criteria:
- Do you work from a feminist and/or women’s rights perspective?
- Is your organisation led by the women, girls and/or trans and intersex people you serve?
- Do you have the promotion of women’s, girls’ and/or trans and intersex people’s human rights as your group’s primary mission, and not just as the focus of part of your programmes?
- Does your group’s work push for structural and fundamental change?
- Does the work you do focus on issues that are under-addressed and/or contested?
- Applicants can apply online via given website.
For more information, visit Mama Cash.