The Options for Pregnancy Termination Innovation (OPTions) Initiative supports Bold Ideas with Big Impact® that put women and girls in control of where, when, and how they terminate their pregnancy.
The OPTions Initiative is awarding $250,000 grants for the development and testing of next-generation methods of pregnancy termination. Ideas at all stages are welcome – including very early stage – and innovators from all fields are encouraged to participate.
The aim of the OPTions Hackathon is to save and improve the lives of women and girls through expanded and improved choices for methods of pregnancy termination.
The OPTions Initiative is seeking bold, innovative, transformational and ‘outside-the-box’ ideas for next-generation methods of pregnancy termination, including those that incorporate concepts, methods and technologies not currently being used for pregnancy termination.
Next-generation methods of pregnancy termination should offer one or more improvements to existing pregnancy termination methods, including but not limited to:
- The ability to be effectively administered at later stages in gestation
- Effectiveness at terminating a pregnancy
- The ability for women and girls to access and self-administer with greater autonomy and privacy
- Ease of compliance (e.g. single pill administration)
- Reduced side effects and pain
- Stability profile
- Permissive within existing regulatory frameworks (e.g. having other primary indications)
Innovators worldwide and in all fields are encouraged to participate, including but not limited to:
- Biomedical engineering
- Biomedical physics
- Drug development and trials
- Individuals with knowledge of traditional, folk, and indigenous methods of pregnancy termination
Applications will be evaluated on their boldness, potential for impact, project execution plan, ability to champion change, and value for effort.
For more information, visit OPTions Initiative Hackathon.